All year round the roof takes a beating from the elements. During the fall, homeowners typically perform maintenance on their roof. This is in preparation for the winter ahead. Unlike other seasons of the year, winter can be very harsh on the roof. Roof shingles could shrink, become brittle, and may be damaged by the sheer weight of the snow. These are just a few reasons why it is best to perform a roof inspection before winter comes.
Here are six ways to maintain your roof this fall
- Get your roof inspected – a North Myrtle Beach roof inspection must be performed before winter comes. Any leaks or weak spots on the roof might be the cause of even greater issues later on. You could do your own visual inspection prior to hiring a roofing contractor. However, always exercise caution. Climbing up the ladder can be dangerous. Here are some visual inspections you can perform:
- Check for missing shingles
- Look for damaged drip edges
- Check for missing or damaged flashing
- Find any missing or exposed fasteners
- Check the gutters for issues
Do remember that it is always better to have your roof inspected by a roofing contractor like NMB Roofing Pros. A quick DIY visual inspection may yield good results. However, a thorough roof inspection done by a professional roofer can provide even better findings. To avoid any unwanted damage to your roof, always hire a roofer to do the inspection.
- Clean the gutters – an entire year’s worth of dirt may be sitting on your gutters and it should be cleaned. Leaves and other debris can pile up in the gutters and it could block the downspout. Other than that, a gutter full of dirt can cause other issues. That’s why it should be cleaned periodically to avoid such issues.
- Trim nearby trees – before winter comes, be sure that you trim any nearby trees. Overhanging branches can be hazardous to your roof. Branches may fall off, hitting and puncturing the roof. Major damages may be dealt which could leave you with expensive roof repair.
- Look for any moss or algae – any discoloration on your roof may be caused by moss or algae. Although the negative effects of moss or algae growth are slow to be realized, they will still deal significant damage. However, there’s plenty of time to have them removed.
- Re-caulk if needed – over the course of an entire year, the adhesive that’s holding the flashings in place may deteriorate, dry up, and fail. During your own inspection, check whether there is a need to re-caulk and apply any if need be.
6. Check the roof insulation – it is likely that snow will be piling up on top of your roof. It is best to make sure that there is adequate insulation inside the roof to allow for more efficient heating and cooling inside the house. Proper insulation also prevents any moisture retention inside the attic and prevents the buildup of ice dams.
Have a roof inspection done and prevent any unwanted roof issues! Call NMB Roofing Pros today! You may reach us at (843) 491-6382.
NMB Roofing Pros
North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582