Whether you are looking to build a new house or replace your old roof, choosing the right roofing material is always a difficult task. There are a lot of options out there. However, this article will be focusing mainly on two of the most popular roofing options namely shingles and metal roof. There are pros and cons to each type. Of course, pricing and availability will vary depending on your location. This article mainly provides you with a general idea of which material is better than the other and why.
Choosing between metal roofing and asphalt shingles
Asphalt shingles are made out of various materials that range from fiberglass to felt. The exact list of materials will be different depending on the manufacturer’s choice of materials. Given the way they are made, asphalt shingles can be made into any shape. In general, asphalt shingles are installed by placing on top of an underlayment. This prevents water from seeping down into the inside portion of the roof in case the shingles get broken or dislodged. Here are the pros and cons of choosing asphalt shingles as your roofing material:
- They don’t catch fire
- Asphalt shingles are affordable compared to other roofing materials
- You can find asphalt shingles in a variety of colors
- Installation is easy and can even be done through DIY
- Quick and easy maintenance
- Repair costs are lower than other materials
- Higher maintenance and roof repair costs over the course of usable life
- Asphalt shingles may not do well in hot climates
- They can be a magnet for mold and algae under certain conditions
A North Myrtle Beach metal roof can be made out of a combination of different metals. The metal roof panels are installed on a roof decking. There are also a number of benefits as to why homeowners choose this type of material. Contrary to popular belief, metal roofing does not increase energy costs. It can also provide good insulation. Here are some of the benefits and disadvantages you can expect from a metal roof:
- You have a lot of colors and styles to choose from
- Most metal roofs come with a Class A fire rating
- They are 100% recyclable after their useful life has been exhausted
- They are lighter than other roofing materials and are impact resistant
- Metal roofing has a long rated lifespan of 50-100 years
- They are more expensive than asphalt shingles
- They require expert roofers like NMB Roofing Pros for the installation
- Can be noisy in the rain or hail if not properly installed
- Can dent easily in hot climates
Which is the better roof?
There are great things about asphalt shingles and metal roofing. Both of which are perfect for any roof replacement project. However, to draw up a conclusion, you should consider a number of things including price, availability, and practicality. Roofing materials like asphalt shingles and metal roofs are widely available. Then again, pricing and availability will be contributing factors to the retail pricing. Consider how much it will cost you and which one is more convenient to procure. Overall, each one of the roofing materials listed in this article provides significant advantages. It all boils down to preference, how much you are willing to spend, and your convenience.
Are you looking for the right roofing material and services? Call NMB Roofing Pros today! You may reach us at (843) 491-6382.
NMB Roofing Pros
North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582