Have you ever wondered how a roof insurance claim is filed and the processes involved in it? Not a lot of homeowners understand the process until they are one day faced with having to file on themselves. It is important to know what is involved in case a hurricane or other natural calamities cause significant damage to your roof. Typically, a homeowner would need to gather some documentation of the damage, file the claim, and hire a roofer North Myrtle Beach. This article will be briefly explaining what is needed to be done.
Six steps in filing a roof insurance claim
- Always put safety first – don’t attempt to turn inside the home or climb up a ladder to see the extent of the damage on the roof. Depending on the severity of the damage, you may or may not get to go in or near your home just yet. Always put your safety on top priority.
- Proceed with documentation – once it is determined that it is safe to go in your home or on your roof, proceed with documenting everything. Take photos and videos of the roof, the surrounding areas, and any parts of the roof that may have fallen to the ground as a result of the damage. Do not throw away any pieces of your roof that may have been dislodged. This will also serve as proof of the damage and an important part of roof repair later on.
- Hire a roofing company – the next thing that you need to do is hire a roofer that knows how to deal with roof insurance claims. Do note that not all roofing contractors offer this kind of service. Be sure to ask the roofer if they cater to cases that involve filing an insurance claim. This will eliminate any possible problems with the insurance provider later on. A roofer like NMB Roofing Pros can help you out in case you need to file a roof insurance claim.
- Don’t delay filing your claim – the weather may turn sour at any point in time. It is important to process everything, file your claim, and have roof repairs underway. Also, insurance providers may have a time limit as to how long the claims can be made after the damage to your roof has been dealt with. Filing a roof insurance claim need not be due to major roof damages but also minor ones.
- Have professional representation at the adjuster meeting – many insurance companies will use roofing jargon unbeknownst to the homeowner. This is why it is important to have a professional roofing contractor representing yourself during the adjuster meeting. It is also important that the report from the roofer you hire line up with the report filed by the insurance company’s own roofing expert.
6. Final report – after your roofer and insurance provider come to terms on the needed roof repairs, a report will be drafted and files, outlining what needs to be done. The amount covered by the insurance will vary. Check your insurance policy once more to know about the details.
Are you planning to file a roof insurance claim? Let NMB Roofing Pros help you out! You may reach us at (843) 491-6382.
NMB Roofing Pros
North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582